Friday, May 22, 2009

Full Bar Review

YAY…the weekend is finally here! Today is a bit overcast and cool, but the next 2 days are supposed to be fabulous. I’ve got plans to hit up the local farmers market, watch ball hockey and plant my vegetable garden. Can’t wait!

I made a blended bowl of goodness this morning…
-1 cup water
-1/3 cup Quaker oats
-cinnamon
-coconut extract
-mango
-pineapple jam
-homemade cinnamon maple almond butter
-unsweetened coconut
This bowl tasted fabulous but didn’t keep my hunger at bay for very long. Not sure if it was the oats or the fact that I ran later than usual last night.

Speaking of last night, I made myself a delicious snack. Into this very cute “bowl” (which used to have a candle in it) I put a ½ cup of cottage cheese, a scoop of pineapple jam and some Nature’s Path Agave granola.
Ummm…YUM! Unfortunately, this snack woke up my sugar craving monster and I ended up serving myself a (small) scoop of Bryers double churned cookies and cream ice cream. Very good! It’s probably a good thing that ice cream isn’t a fave of mine or I bet I would’ve gone back for more! PS, the bowl was camera shy! :)

Because I was fighting hunger all morning I decided to eat half of my banana bread mini loaf before going to the gym.
I ate the other half as my lunch dessert.

My hubby is off work today and met me at the gym. I always like when he shows up because it’s nice to be active together without the kids around. It was mucho HOT in there today. That’s the one complaint I have about our gym. The hotter it gets outside, the hotter the gym is. I checked the thermostat on my way out and it was 75 in there! Too hot for running comfortably, for sure! Anyways, I did a 45 minute run at a slightly faster speed than I’ve been doing the past few weeks.

Time: 45 minutes
Avg Hr: 163
Max Hr: 182
Calories Burned: 445
Distance: 4.25 miles

My hubby found a fan that he plugged in mid way through and it was sweet relief! I sat in front of it for a good few minutes before I went to change. Very refreshing.

I made a huge, delicious salad for lunch today!
-romaine
-spinach
-tri coloured bell pepper pieces
-mango
-pork tenderloin
-strawberry pomegranate dressing
Isn’t that a beauty? It took forever to eat, too! Love lunches that are time challenged! ;)

Just before leaving work I ate the last of my fresh fruit….raspberries and blackberries;
Tonight was Pilate’s night and ball hockey straight afterward. I decided it was the perfect opportunity to try out one of the Full Bars that I got a few weeks ago in the mail. Would you be surprised if I told you that I went for the chocolate one???
Here are my thoughts on this product. When I opened it up my first reaction was that it looked like a rice crispy square made with puffed wheat so I was surprised (not unpleasantly) that the bar was soft and chewy.
It had a fantastic chocolate flavour and I liked that I could see the puffed wheat. So, the way these bars work is that you are supposed to eat one 30 minutes before a meal with an 8oz glass of water. The idea is that you won't be hungry for much dinner, hence weight loss. I ate this around 5pm, then went off to Pilate's. It held me over well until I got out and was able to eat what I had prepared for dinner. Now, in my opinion, I think that I can pack a lot of fruit or veggies into me a 1/2 hour before I eat for 160 calories and that would obviously be better for my health. That being said, I think these bars are a great choice for those times where you are in a rush and don't have time to scarf back a salad before you eat. Like me on Friday nights. I would buy this product again, but not for a weight loss tool because 1) I'm not trying to lose any weight and 2) I think fruits and veggies would be a better choice. I would definitely use it as a means to tie me over when I know it'll be awhile before I can get some chow. You can learn more about FullBars right here.

I made a tasty wrap to eat after class on my drive across town. This baby has a ¼ of an avocado, a LC cheese wedge, deli turkey and romaine lettuce....
The perfect portable dinner! I also drank a small French vanilla cappuccino at the ball hockey game as my sweet end. It's pert near 9pm right now and I'm nursing an x-large chai tea from Tim Horton's. I plan to bring it out on the front porch to enjoy the rest of the evening with. Anybody have exciting plans this weekend? Or, how about having to do something you are NOT looking forward to??

Bye for now!!

13 comments:

  1. The berries look so beautiful!

    Interesting bars. I just saw them at the drugstore here. I think I am with you though. I don't know if I buy it. i think you could 160 calories of anything, guzzle water and be less hungry for dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been quite curious about those full bars... thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm those bars look interesting, I assume you can buy them in Canada right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whoa, whoa, whoa. Pineapple jam?? I need to get me some of that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your oats look awesome today. Hope you have a great weekend and that the weather holds up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I need to try blended oats soon, your bowl looks so creamy!! :)
    great bar review! But I doubt I can have it as meal! :)
    enjoy the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great review of the bar! That salad looks fantastic - love the addition of mango :)

    Enjoy your weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. what a great dinner wrap! and thanks for the bar review!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The strawberry pomegranate dressing sounds amazing. Does it go well with salads, is it really sweet?

    That bar looks like the rice crispies cereal bar. Very Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great review!! I had neard the Full Bar tasted like cardboard, but maybe it was a different flavor. I'll have to give them a try (I agree with you about fruits and veggies being better though). When you are in a rush, bars are great.

    ReplyDelete
  11. mmm that salad looks great! I'm definitely making one of those babies for dinner tonight :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I saw those bars at the store the other day, and thought the whole idea of eating them to fill you up seemed odd. They were on the pricey side too, that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really like your blog; very informative. :) As for the full bar, I bought mine at winners ( 12 bars for 20.00) They taste like cardboard, but kill the appetite. :)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!! Please leave a comment!