Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Cross Border Groceries

I spent a good hour out on my front porch leafing through a magazine last night. Oh, how long I have waited for that?! It was fabulous! Good thing I took advantage of the glorious weather because the rain is back again today. Here’s my eats!

-1 cup water
-1/3 cup oat bran
-banana
-raisins
-cinnamon
-cinnamon honey
This was simple yet really good! I love the way the honey gets all liquidy and coats the whole bowl with flavour! I filled my travel mug with a flavour of TAZO tea that I've never had before....Lotus! This was courtesy of Mara and I loved it.

I spent the morning elbow deep in keypunching so it went by pretty quick. I made myself a latte from the office machine to go along with my dates. I was feeling the need for something warm and cozy!
I got some more magazine time in on the bike again today. I also did 3 set of 10 (girly) push ups as per the BBBC. I still have to get at today’s leg lifts but I figure they’ll be perfect for commercial breaks during the Biggest Loser later on! Here’s my stats!

Time: 50 minutes
Avg Hr: 125
Max Hr: 137
Calories Burned: 286

For lunch I warmed up a serving of vegan chili which I then topped with plain NF yogurt.
Man, oh man I love this stuff! I followed this up with a 1/2 a piece of sweet potato bread....
Before I left I broke into my fruit salad. This had strawberries, grapes and an orange. This is a combination that I’m partial to!
I didn't end up eating all of it, though!! I've got the rest saved for tomorrow. I'm sure there will be something else added to it by then! :)

A lady I work with has a good friend that is in the process of moving from Michigan to Ontario. Over the weekend his pantry got cleaned out and was very thoughtfully given to me! Hell, yeah!!! There was SO much....

Assorted boxes of pasta, 3 boxes of popcorn, granola bars, spices galore and a special delivery of Panera's Asiago cheese bread.
Muffin mix, 4 boxes of couscous, 3 boxes of Shake and Bake, Hamburger Helper x 2, Chicken helper, taco filling, pilaf, beans x 2, refried beans....
Oats, A1 marinade, jams, extracts, seasoning mix packets, salad dressing, tuna, evaporated milk, TJ's Cuban simmer sauce, yeast, muffin liners...
How freakin lucky am I??? Thanks, Mr. C!!! This is especially great because some of the items are not available in Canada and others are such that I wouldn't normally buy. Any suggestions on how to use this wonderful sounding stuff? I've never heard of it before!
Of course I put some of the goods to use at dinner tonight! I had pulled out a pork tenderloin for dinner so I cut it into "chops"and used a packet of Shake and Bake on it.
I also heated up a can of Bush's beans....the bacon maple ones.
With that I made roasted potatoes and sweet potatoes and sauteed kale.
DD got it right when she looked at my plate and exclaimed how colourful it looked! This was one spectacular meal! I bet its been a good 10 years since I've had shake n bake and almost as long since I've had beans, too! For a sweet end I split this marvelous wonder with DD...
Another treat from Mara! It was quite like a Turtle only bigger! Oh, I've been spoiled this week!!
Before you shut down for the night, might I suggest that you cruise on over to visit Gina??? She's got a great vegan recipe book give away going on over there!!

Bye for now!!















15 comments:

  1. Awesome haul!! I used to eat shake and bake so often, I need to retry using it to batter tofu.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you get some sunshine soon!! Yum to the cinnamon honey!! Hooray for gifts from MI :) I can't wait to see what you do with the marinade because it sounds fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look at all the goodies you scored! I haven't had shake n bake in years either. My mom used to use it, but that was a long time ago.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you got some nice time outside in the beautiful weather last night :). GREAT free groceries! You lunch looks amazing! Chili and bread...yum- great combo ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. May I suggest "pulled jackfruit" for the simmer sauce? It's fat free and sugar free, but really nice and toothsome, so with that sauce I'm sure it will make for an awesome barbeque alternative, without the drippings. ;)

    (example:http://summer2009getfit.blogspot.com/2009/04/pulled-pork.html)

    ReplyDelete
  6. you had 2 of my very favorites today!!! Lotus is a tea that I got obsessed with when I worked at Starbucks, then it disappeared! The pixie... well, they're great but just wait til you try the mint meltaway!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LUCKY DUCK! That is awesome! Great Eats too! Who doesnt like a nice warm latte?!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh wow, those are some awesome products that you received!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. woooooo...... you got so many free products to fill your pantry!!!
    Love your dinner....so many varieties and delicious!!~~

    ReplyDelete
  10. sitting outside with a magazine, siiiigh, can it get any better?? maybe it can ... when you receive the entire contents of someone else's pantry!!!! oh my goodness, krista, i'm so jealous/proud of that haul!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! You racked up, didn't you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. thank you for the link :D
    i'm still in love with that sweet potato bread
    the simmer sauce looks great, too! i tried the curry one from tj's last night and it was amazing!
    have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome US "treats" !!!
    It's always fun trying new things.
    Thanks for your email btw! I loved reading your response!!

    Leah

    ReplyDelete
  14. hold the phone, there is such thing as CINNAMON HONEY? where can i find such fabulousness?! and that mojito simmer sauce is yum, i have tried it. love your blog!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!! Please leave a comment!